So yesterday I didn’t have time to cover the calendar item because you know, I had to urgently inform you that time was running out to buy things you don’t really need. N’ stuff.
First off, Stardoll, I have beef. This ain’t no dress. That’s a jumper. Or Sweater. Whatever you prefer. But not a dress. That sorted? Cool.
It’s pretty cute whatever you want to call it, and I like that it’s not obtrusively Christmassy. It fits the theme well, but you could wear it again without someone thinking you’re pretty stupid (or a wishful thinker). It’s a little bit coy, which I much prefer to all the things on show. Unwrap me gently won’t you? Bit much for Stardoll’s marketing audience maybe…
Aside from this, I’ve found it’s a little difficult to style. It’s sort of..stuck in it’s dull colour scheme (which looks uber dull on my doll’s skin colour - total wash out) and I can’t seem to escape pairing it with black.
It definitely looks better with trousers, unless you want a little frill peeking out. I thought I’d use the tutu skirt from the other day to demonstrate that it can actually look quite pretty as a drop waisted dress.
On that note, I want to apologise for repeating stuff in the lookbooks (those plaid jeans, I know! I just can’t help myself. They go with EVERYTHING.) With my laptop out, I don’t have the time to really really think about everything in my wardrobe, so I’m picking a lot of stuff from the top.
Also, a lot of these Hot buys are falling into a collection, which is nice to see. It means I can get away with using some of them twice over!
Have a subcouture lookbook. Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to get todays calendar item up today. I’ll aim for that tomorrow :)
Tumblr app won’t publish all my draft. So enjoy this section of a haul I’ve just posted until I can edit it on a computer later.
Also, Stardoll in my autocorrect desperately wants to be Star Troll.
Subcouture appeared in the Starplaza yesterday for a limited time only, so I’ll be full on triple posting today if I’ve got time. Get me. No life.
As you all probably saw from my outburst earlier, I’m not exactly thrilled. I have the same problem here that I had with MSW ‘13 and so many other release. Why are the graphics so poor? I really don’t understand at all. It’s like there are two or three teams of graphic designers who are set on projects of which only one is strong. The inconsistency kills me.
I understand that they were trying to achieve a kind of frothy, chiffony style, but seriously, put the airbrush down and walk away. Nothing is defined enough. Just because the fabric is light and translucent doesn’t mean that it doesn’t make shadows. ‘Kay? ‘Kay.
So, disappointment out of the way…here is what I bought.
1. This dress is very cute. It toes the line of saccharine for me so we’ll see if I actually do wear it. You can’t see the frilly modesty panel though because white background. For the design of this dress, I actually think 22SD is on the very upper edge of reasonable. The very upper edge. The struggle here though is trying to stop it form looking cutesy.
2. Ha these boots are ridiculous but I wanted them. I have utterly no idea what I will do with them, because they’re worse than the platforms in Nelly.com and I never know what to do with those either. Maybe I’ll just sit them in my suite, because they made me lol.
3. This bag is small but wonderfully versatile. Very much like the chains bag from Chanel the other day, it sits on the hand nicely. I think this will cover lots of outfits and seasons. In terms of pixels for money though…it’s a bit small for what you’re paying for. The price is 14SD by the way, for some reason I left that off the graphic. That’s what you get for rushing.
4. Now this bag I like because it blends in well with the LE collection a few season ago, with all the chains and stuff. The one that is inexplicably not in the starbazaar yet (growls). It’s another bag that covers a multitude of occasions and he details is actually very nice.
5. Ah these shoes are so cute! But in a ‘I could also give you a second bellybutton’ kind of way. I love metal heels, they bring a quick extra edge to anything you’re wearing. Though, they can make things look veeery hoochy, so less flesh on show with these, the better I think.
Overall I spent: 79SD …I think. For the first time in a while, I don’t actually feel too regretful. I genuinely think these are the best of a bad bunch. Notice they’re all black - Can’t see how messed up the graphics are when it’s black.
The minimum I would spend is: 14SD on the little bag. Having said that the other bag is equally great. Either one of those would be a worthy purchase.
WE WERE ROOTING FOR YOU.
WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU.
Sooo…it’s another double poster.
I decided to go through the gifts for the holiday pass to see whether they’re actually worth it…and it’s a mixed bag of meh to be honest.
I’ve sorted them into the pre-thought outfits that Stardoll seems to have implied, and for that reaosn, I won’t be devoting a lookbook to them. If I like them enough, You’ll seen them crop up along the way.
1. I’m not entirely sure what it is about this, but something really turns me off about this. I think it’s the slogan because I love sweaters over collared shirts. I find it weird..addressing Santa like that. It’s awkward. Like the song Santa Baby. Bleh. I certainly do NOT want everything…Santa has..to give…nope.
2. This bag is vile. The graphics are really flat. I don’t think this is redeemable.
3. This, I like. I may go as far as to say that this is the best thing in the whole pass. Yeah, the graphics are flat (as is common in freebies, see above, see below,) which is to the detriment of the pleats, but I think this will go with a lot.
BE WARNED. Seeing it sat under that sweater and next to the heels makes me think of Mean Girls. I’m not entirely sure if that is a good thing.
4. This dress is alright. The pattern is a bit of a nothing. But the colours are okay and I like the cut outs. Maybe not the one down the middle. But this isn’t entirely hopeless.
5. Socks and pointy heels. Not a big fan. I like socks, don’t get me wrong, but with these heels…It’s a bit infantile. If they had just been the heels, they’d have been boring, but they’d have been more versatile.
6. What is it with Stardoll and kinky boots? EVERY pass we get knee high pointy boots. I don’t think I’ve ever put an outfit together and thought, mm know what this needs? Kinky boots. So these will be going into the recycling.
7. These tights are fair. I don’t think I’ll be using them any time soon. I think there comes a point when patterned tights aren’t quirky, so much as just..young. But they’re not hideous, so I may just give them a shot.
8. I want to like this dress. I really do. There’s clearly thought gone into it, and I get the impression that this is supposed to be the gift that makes you want to buy the pass. But I just can’t like it. I hate this style in real life and I hate it in pixels. It flatters no one. The Gatsby gold sunrays with the black background makes your chest look lumpy. They it cuts you off straight at the waist, making your torso look short. If this was a real life product, we’d think it was cheap. Had it been a similar shape to the Tingeling Halloween couture lace dress, with maybe white chiffon instead, then you’d have me looking.
9. Yawn. But no doubt, to those on a smaller budget, this will be endlessly useful. You’re always going to need a black purse on a chain. There’s a little blob of green on the lock that really offends me though…
10. YAWWWWN. God these shoes are boring. Useful, yes. But so so boring and flat. You will get wear out of these if your shoe collection is limited. But I know I just have things in my wardrobe that are more interesting.
So is the holiday pass worth it for the gifts? In my personal opinion, no. I’m not raving one little bit.
Hot hot buy number 6 is a rather lovely tutu skirt
The colour is a little dull, but I actually think that increases its versatility. I think we’ve needed a skirt like this for a while. This kind of thing will suit almost any dress sense and can probably be used as a petticoat too. Personally, I like to contrast it with harder elements so you don’t end up looking too frothy.
In short, I’ll definitely be keeping this one. I don’t think it’s necessarily worth the money, but they’re aren’t many things in the plaza like this that are a nice quality.
Double posting all the way across the sky.
When this little beaut popped out of that calendar I nearly squealed. So cute!
But I was immediately suspicious. Will this fit on my head Stardoll? *Rages into the sky*
It fits a bald head. But if you have hair tough cookies. That being said, it blends fairly well into dark hair that you can almost forgive. If it wasn’t 12SD.
I was going to do a lookbook but to be honest, I think it’ll go with most things. If I have some recommendations, I’d say stick to dark colours and heavy fabrics otherwise your head will look a bit heavy. The qualities of the hat will shine out if you keep your outfit quite plain and structured, as that will show off it’s quirk and sense of humour. In particular, pairing it with a grey coat and leather skinnies will make this sing.
I’m also not doing a lookbook as I have to give up access to the computer I’ve been using (I’m actually typing from my phone now). I’ll be able to get back on tomorrow to keep going. I did have some good news though and my laptop will be fixed next week for less than the cost of a new laptop as I was fearing. It’s always before Christmas isn’t it?
You can still send me messages though! As much as I loathe the tumblr app, I’m still connected :)
Told you they couldn’t keep me down!
As I said in my last post, I missed out on doing the shoes, so I’ve skipped them seeing as they’re not available any more.
However! The tartan dress from yesterday still is, so here goes:
Isn’t it lovely? I’ve told you guys how much I like tartan right? RIGHT?
17SD isn’t fun, but if this was in the Starplaza for this price, I still think I’d buy it.
This sort of dress is always going to sit comfortable between alternative and geek chic. I see it as like an off-duty piece for someone high fashion if you catch me. It doesn’t really lend itself to other colours either. So I’ve stayed in black, red, white framework.
What I chose to show off instead is its value as a basic piece upon which you can build. It works as a dress in it’s own right that you can throw a jacket over (though mind, that collar is tricky to deal with and I find that some jackets take away from the shape of the dress making it a bit frumpy). It works as a top, showing off that lovely collar detail. It works as a skirt, showing off the edgy versatility of tartan.
This has been the best gift so far. No competition. If you have the cash to splash, spend it on this one.
Also HOT HOT BUYS INCEPTION IN YOUR FACE.
It’s not my computer..But it has Gimp!
I will try and bash some things out while I’ve got it..
Also, regarding the holiday hot buys shoes, I had started a lookbook with them when my laptop broke and I was having a really unpleasant time with them.
I like the idea of them, but they sit in a really funny place on the feet. Almost like they’re a little bit too small.
Shoes that cut off that low on the ankle can make a leg look a bit stocky with anything other than trousers. Also, the brightness of the colour AND the quirkiness of the style was just a little bit too much design.
At 14SD, I’d be passing…